Governor-General absent

I have the greatest respect for the role of the Governor-General of Australia and the incumbent Peter Cosgrove, but ...
I'm staggered that the GG is away overseas in France to represent Australia (as Head of State) at a ceremony to celebrate the French National Day which commemorates the Storming of the Bastille on 14 July 1789.
I'm only staggered by the fact that back home in Australia we have had a Federal election (and that date was known for 2 months) and now that we have a result we have no GG to swear in the Prime Minister and his Ministers.
Rather bad timing. In fact I would say rather poor etiquette.
We do have a Lieutenant GG don't we? Like most Australians I have no idea who that person is, but surely the Deputy could either have gone to France (instead of the GG) or performed the swearing in process (in the absence of the GG).
Then again, I'm only guessing at protocols and who can do what in the absence of the GG.
What I do know is that with the known date of our election, the Governor-General should have stayed in Australia to swear in the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and the Ministers. I see his availability as an obligation; a core function of his role. 🤔

Comments

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your feedback.