Lost Tribe Wombat

Last weekend I did my annual trip up to Andamooka; up in the Outback in the far north of South Australia.
It's a time to get away and relax without a worry in the world in the bush.
Of course I spent time noodling for opals. I found rock with nice traces of blue opal, but didn't find that special and elusive large solid opal. There's always next year.
But I did find (or see) a lone wombat near Andamooka.
Before leaving Adelaide I had seen media reports about a Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat that had been seen and photographed on the plains on the road between Andamooka and Roxby Downs. It had caused a bit of a stir because no wombat had been sighted in the area for about 40-50 years. Wombats have been known to live for up to 50 years.
So, one day, late in the day (before beer time) I drove from Andamooka, passed the migratory black swans on a small lake and about half way to Roxby I spotted the wombat. He was on the plain, off to the right 100-200 metres away. A further 300 metres away were low sand dunes in which he probably has his burrow.
He was medium sized and a chocolate colour.
I was annoyed that I didn't have a camera. I had left my phone back at the motel due to no Optus signal.
I stood and watched him for 10-15 minutes and he just wandered around, slowing heading for the sand dunes. I could hear a low grunting sound; like calling for a mate.
There was no other wombat in sight.
A group of emus passed by, but they weren't too keen on my presence and they quickly headed for the dunes.
It is likely that this solitary wombat is the last of a mob of wombats that lived in the area 50 years ago.
When I got back to Andamooka, I shared my sighting and a local explained that BHP had been doing some earth works in the area when exploring the idea of creating a Roxby Downs satellite township in that area, midway to Andamooka. Perhaps those earth works had disrupted the wombat's burrow.
I hope that he does have local wombat mates and the group survive.
Then again, he may just be the sole survivor of an ancient colony of wombats.

Comments