Lonely boy

He visits every day. A lone Willy-Wag-Tail. He sits down by the compost bin, watching and then darting about and snapping up flying insects. He is busy all day and must be having a feast from catching all those bugs. He's oblivious to me watching.
Sometimes there is a lone New Holland Honeyeater, and I've seen a bit of a stand-off between the two with the Willy-Wag-Tail winning the patch.
Actually, there often used to be a large group of New Holland Honeyeaters. They too are masters at snapping flying insects. Maybe they will return when the Willy-Wag-Tail migrates for winter.

I'm not that good at determining the sex of a bird; but how do I know that the Willy-Wag-Tail is a male? My rationale is that if it were a female then she would surely be quickly courted by a boy bird and I would have two Willy-Wag-Tails in the backyard.

Hopefully this lonely boy finds his gal soon.

Comments