Kinkawooka mussels - yum

It's Tuesday night and I volunteered to cook.
Over the weekend I went to the the Sunday Farmers Market (at the Showground, Goodwood).
I bought a 1kg pack of Kinkawooka of mussels from the Eyre Peninsular - available year round, the size varies on the season. $9 per kg for non members. Fantastic value!
I cooked thin spaghetti, boiled mussels for 3m45s tossed in a sauce of finely cut (half) onion and garlic, Italian parsley, butter, oil, cream and home made Harissa.
So simple and fantastic.
Left overs for lunch tomorrow. Yum!

Next time at the Market, buy a pack of mussels.
They are live and in oxygenated saltwater and keep in the fridge for 10 days.
The female mussels are orange in colour whilst the males are creamy white.
There seem to be more females than males. Further studies are required.
Mussels are rich in omega 3, iodine, zinc and selenium - so go for it.
Also they have more iron content than fillet steak.
On reflection, that would be a rather small steak.

Give them a try - they are so sweet!

And, don't forget, the shells go in the green recycling bin.
Oyster shells, mussel shells, crab shells/claws and lobster leftovers go in the green recycle bin.

Comments

  1. You make them sound so wonderful.
    I will buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you do home visits to do shredding will you also be offering to cook mussels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems a bit strange to me that you would go to all that trouble to cook Kinkawooka mussels and then put them in the recycle bin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having trouble locating Eyre Peninsular on the map. Eyre Peninsula keeps coming up. Which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, if only one comes up, then there is no choice between 2.
      My mistake. I mis-spelt peninsula. (I'm also now having trouble with spelling mis-spelt.)
      I also add an H to verandah - some people don't.
      Language aside, try those mussels - they are so sweet.

      Delete
  5. I will be at the market tomorrow and will buy some.
    Might do a tomato and chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I did buy a bag of mussels and made a tomato, garlic and chilli sauce.
    Fantastic. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your feedback.