Wrong perfume

The other day I joined a table of other people for a meeting. I sat next to a woman I knew. We have often passed idle chatter and shared experiences. But, something was wrong and I wished that I had sat elsewhere.

The perfume she was wearing was strong and just didn’t suit her; it wasn’t her. In fact, the scent was too old for her. Thinking about it, I would not have found it pleasant on an older woman.

I remember some years back at work, in separate incidents, I passed some honest comments to a couple of women about the colour of their tops. I’m into giving honest feedback; and sometimes it is unsolicited. Years later, and only recently, I was surprised to learn through a friend that those two women to whom I had provided feedback had never worn those tops again. One gave hers to the Salvos, the other handed it down to her sister. I sorta felt bad about it, but it quickly became a passing thought. Friends should be able to pass on honest feedback.

So, back to the woman sitting next to me. I felt uncomfortable throughout the meeting. I pondered if I should tell her that her perfume was making her unappealing. She would want to know, wouldn’t she? How would she take it? What would I do if someone told me that my after-shave did nothing for me? I’d probably be distraught; she probably would be too.

I thought again about those women who wouldn’t wear their tops again. That was a good outcome; wasn’t it? It didn’t suit them and they culled it from their wardrobe.
If I told her then she might stop using it and surely that would be a good outcome; for her and those in her social life. It was a tough call. I decided to bite the bullet, but instead bit my tongue and said nothing. I decided to deal with it at a later date, perhaps with a bit more diplomacy; and I believe I have a scheme that will work.


Comments

  1. Yr on very dangerous ground Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. an enjoyable tale
    love your bravery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered the possibility that you might have a bad nose for perfumes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did.
      But I totally discarded the thought.
      I believe that when it comes to scents, I have a rather discerning nose.

      Delete
  4. Next time we meet please give me feedback on my new perfume.
    It has a lovely coconut fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that new coconut scent.
    It gives me tropical thoughts. I'll let you know.
    What I don't like is that pungent fruit (red berry?) perfume.
    It smells like a strong berry tea bag soaked in water. I don't know how people drink that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it wasn't me and my perfume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Serena - it wasn't you.
      The question I now ask myself is 'if the woman to whom I am referring asks me if it was her, then do I answer honestly or do I just say no?'

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your feedback.